Sciatica can be classified as a symptom pattern, usually presenting as pain felt in the low back and down through the back of the legs.
The sciatic nerve is the major nerve of the leg that begins as several nerves in the low back. When there is pressure on one of the spinal nerves, or the sciatic nerve itself, leg pain will be present.
- Sciatica is often due to a misalignment of the low back and/or pelvis (subluxation).
- Disc injury- disc bulge, disc herniation. This will be in combination with a subluxation of the spine. There can not be a disc injury without a misalignment of the surrounding bones.
- Arthritis of the spine- Most view this as a “death sentence” and believe there is nothing that can be done. Not true. We can help!
- Scar tissues formation in the surrounding tissues around the nerves.
- Chiropractic adjustment of the low back and pelvis to make sure there is proper alignment and no pressure on the affected nerves.
- Stretching the glutes, hamstrings, and low back.
- Lumbar traction.
- Tracing the nerves as they go down through the glut, piriformis, and hamstring area to make sure there is free movement without scar tissue.
- Soft tissue care, including Active Release Technique and mobility work, to make sure all of those sliding surfaces are moving freely and there is no impingement on the sciatic nerve.